Dec 10, 2010

eBook Goodies - Andromeda Spaceways Inflight Magazine

The Australian eBook market is still not what many consumers would consider acceptable.  We'll always have something to complain about, no doubt, but let's face it, for some of us we still have to resort to paper to get the content we want.


The scarcity for eBook content in the niches I want it in has encouraged  me to look further afield  and to discover writers and products I may not have if eBook purchasing had been easier.  


My recent review of Tansy Roberts' Siren Beat is one example the other is Andromeda Spaceways Inflight Magazine

Andromeda Spaceways Inflight Magazine

is a "Lighthearted science fiction and fantasy magazine, published bi-monthly in print."  It's up to its 48th issue and has so far been an entertaining and diverse read.  

How did I discover it?
I believe it was through Twitter while adding people to my Bookbloggers twitter list.  If it hadn't been for social networing I doubt I would have discovered this source of excellent entertaining short fiction.  It just doesn't have in store distribution in rural South Australia (mores the pity).


Hang on, you said eBook Goodies.
Thankfully they as well as a printed magazine they offer a DRM free pdf from their website at $4.95.  It appears that they have only recently started doing this.  But based on the quality of Issue 48 I will go back and pick up those magazines available in pdf form and perhaps their "Best of" series as well.  


Being DRM free means I can( and you can too) convert it to any format using such software as Calibre.  I hope this translates to a wider readership for them. I have it in both PDF and Epub formats for reading on my Sony Prs 505 and .mobi for reading on my laptop.


Benefits of Short Fiction in eBook format
I recently came across this discussion at Reactions to Reading.  I agree with a lot of what Bernadette says.  I have enjoyed being able to dip in and out of ASIM when I haven't had the time or inclination to read longer works.  


I also like the portability and the space saving that the eBook format affords me.  I don't generally read magazines cover to cover in one sitting and I dip in and out of them over a period of months.  Indeed I don't actually buy magazines any more.  Lugging them about in paper form means they usually become pulp in the bottom of my back pack.  With the eBook  it's there, its bookmarked and I am more likely to read and return to it at a later stage.


What other short fiction have you found available in eBook formats? Do you have in magazine's that are in eBook format or you would like to see available? Feel free to add suggestions in the comments.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...